I made you a cookie. An Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie with salted caramel and vanilla ice cream to be precise. Hello indulgence.
Tell me what you did this weekend! I spent the weekend in Minnesota at the Pinch of Yum Food Photography Workshop. I really enjoyed Minneapolis and the workshop was fantastic. It was so fun to be in a room full of people who also love talking about (and taking pictures of) food. I was terrified there would be a foot of snow and me and my little pea coat and scarf that is really more for decoration than warmth would turn into an icicle. Lucky for me there was a “heat wave” so the temperature was in the 30s.
Now I’m back in NC thawing out and trying to grasp the fact we are less than 20 days from Christmas. I just did the math again to make sure I was right about that and, yep, still less than 20 days. The number of Christmas gifts wrapped at our house is precisely 0. The number of Christmas decorations we have up at our house is approximately 1. The number of Advent calendar days we have successfully completed is exactly 2.
The number of bites I’ve had of gooey, melty skillet cookie with salted caramel sauce is… a bit higher.
Who has time to decorate Christmas trees when there’s warm, gooey, sweet, chocolaty, chewy, caramely, melty, scoopnable skillet cookie indulgence?
And let’s just go ahead and put it all out there. I set out to make an “Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie for 2” and I ended up with an oatmeal chocolate chip skillet cookie for… 6? But here’s the good news. We can have gooey, melty, caramely skillet cookie tonight. And then again tomorrow afternoon. And then maybe again for a little mid-morning pick me up the next day.
Skillet cookie for everyone for all the days.
There’s only one thing that can make a warm chocolatey chewy scoopable cookie better and that’s salted caramel sauce. Before I headed out to Minnesota I had coffee with my friend Jennifer from Stirred by Hand and picked up some salted caramel sauce that I had bought as Christmas gifts (for myself). Y’all, I seriously cannot get enough of this stuff. It’s sweet and salty and the perfect topping for our oatmeal chocolate chip skillet cookie.
When the cookie is out of the oven, I top it with a little ice cream and a few ribbons of salted caramel sauce and we have full on indulgent dessert happiness.
Absolutely no judgment if you just attack the chewy, slightly underbaked middle of this with a spoon. You do you.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 9" cast iron skillet.
- In a stand mixer, beat softened butter on low until creamy. Add sugar and mix until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix until smooth, scraping down sides and bottom of mixing bowl to make sure everything is fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk to combine well. With mixer on low speed, slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients in mixing bowl until flour is incorporated. Add oatmeal and mix just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread cookie dough into greased skillet. Top with a few extra chocolate chips (optional). Bake cookie for 25 minutes or until browned on top and just slightly underbaked in the center.
- Serve with ice cream and salted caramel.