If you’ve been following along for any amount of time now, you’ve probably gathered that my adventures in the kitchen are basically an operation in how can I fit more lime, cilantro, and garlic into my life. And avocado.
These lettuce wraps are the perfect vessel for all the Mexican goodness I love: cilantro, lime, salsa verde, tomatoes, avocados, fresh corn, more lime.
And, look, this is just fancy salad so we are being very healthy!
Ground chicken, what with its lacking in the flavor department, is basically just a blank canvas begging us to let it simmer with salsa verde, onions, garlic, and fresh corn.
FRESH CORN. Don’t skip that step if you can find it. Corn cut off the cob is sweet and crunchy and the perfect added texture in our lettuce wraps.
I rarely reach for iceberg lettuce. Actually, Garrett asked if this is the first time I’ve ever bought it! It’s not my favorite and I think I am just permanently burnt out on it from having it pretty exclusively growing up. BUT, iceberg is sturdy and crunchy and exactly what we want for lettuce wraps.
This recipe is the best of both worlds for busy weeknights: fast and healthy. We brown the ground chicken, sauté onions and garlic, add fresh corn to the party, and simmer the whole shebang with a jar of salsa verde. I also added a little heat with ancho chili powder. Not too much, but enough to give it a little kick and more flavor.
Let the chicken simmer while you wash and prep your lettuce wraps, cut tomatoes, dice avocado, and slice your limes. And, that’s it! This is flavorful dinnertime happiness that only took you about 20 minutes and one pot.
We had these for dinner Tuesday night then I had the leftovers for lunch yesterday, and I found I actually liked them even more for lunch. The flavors become more concentrated and I really liked the filling right out of the fridge with cold lettuce, fresh tomatoes, diced avocado, and an extra squeeze of lime. If I wasn’t about to head out the door to meet my mom for Mexican in town, I’d be a little sad I sent the rest with Garrett for his lunch today.
Hope you enjoy!
- 16 oz ground chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- ancho chili powder (to taste)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 ear corn, kernels removed
- 16 oz salsa verde
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, washed and leaves removed
- Cherry tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, lime (for topping)
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in skillet on medium-high heat. Add ground chicken and use spatula or wooden spoon to break up. Season generously with salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste. Let cook until chicken is browned and crumbled and remove from pan. The chicken does not need to be completely cooked at this point.
- To pan, add remaining olive oil and saute onions until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add fresh corn and garlic and saute another minute. Pour in jar of salsa verde and return chicken to pan. Stir to combine and let simmer while you prep other ingredients.
- While chicken simmers, prepare any toppings you are using with your lettuce wraps. I like fresh lime, cilantro, diced cherry tomatoes, and diced avocado.
- Place lettuce leaves on plate and spoon in chicken mixture. This recipe should make about 12 lettuce wraps. Add toppings and enjoy!
Psst. We all love fast, healthy dinners. Would you mind sharing this recipe with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest?